Under the supervision and direction of a registered nurse, the Health Care Aide assists the client in activities of daily living to meet physical, emotional, psychosocial and spiritual needs and maintain optimal functioning while promoting clients’ autonomy and choice.
- Assists the client in maintaining a high level of personal hygiene including bathing, dressing, grooming, mouth care, skin care, nail care and hair care according to individual client care needs as specified on the client’s care plan.
- Assists client in meeting nutritional needs by encouraging independence with eating and drinking and providing assistance when and as required. Prepares and delivers nourishment and snacks. Promotes and provides adequate hydration based on client needs.
- In accordance with safety guidelines and based on the client’s care plan, assists clients with rest and mobilization based on their current condition/ability. This includes use of use of mechanical lifts, bath lifts, use of transfer belts, assisting with walking, and ambulation by wheelchair, positioning in bed or wheelchair and use of commode.
- In accordance with established policies and procedures, encourages independence in maintaining continence.
- Documents observations about the client’s condition and care given on the health record using appropriate forms and reports changes in resident condition to the care team. Participates in the development of client care plans in collaboration with the assigned RN/LPN.
- Promotes skin integrity by encouraging mobility and observing and reporting any changes in skin condition. Applies medicated and non-medicated lotions, hot and cold packs, non-sterile dressings as directed by the assigned RN/LPN.
- Assists in the appropriate use and maintenance of supportive devices including: sensory aids (hearing aides/glasses), communication devices, prostheses, compression stockings, splints and oxygen therapy.
- Supports clients in meeting their social/spiritual needs including facilitating attendance at programs or events. Participates /assists during programs and events as required.
- Follows applicable organization policies, procedures, standards, and governing regulations and legislation, including BC Care Aide Registry.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- BC Care Aide Registry required
The Home Care Aide is expected to demonstrate the following:
- Effective verbal and listening skills
- Effective communications skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Good problem solving skills
- Decision making skills
- Stress management skills
- Time management skills
The Home Care Aide represents the company, the following attributes are desired to maintain our company’s image and profesionalism:
- Demonstrate sound work ethics
- Be consistent and fair
- Be compassionate and understanding
- Be flexible, adaptable and able to work effectively in a variety of settings
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Respect cultural differences
- Work independently with little supervision
- Work effectively as a member of a team
- The Home Care Aide may be required to carry groceries, or other items on behalf of the client.
- The Home Care Aide may be required to be able to store and retrieve wheel chairs and other walking aids when needed.
- The Home Care Aide may be required to be able to push wheelchair along with client where needed.
- The Home Care Aide may be required to transfer the client to bed, toilet or shower.
- The Home Care Aide spends time in client homes.
- The Home Care Aide may be required to drive in winter conditions and make visits during periods of cold temperatures
- The Care Provider may face some stress from dealing with clients and family members who may be difficult to work with.
- Registered in the BC Care Aide Registry in good standing
- The applicant will be subject to a National Criminal Record Check.
- The applicant’s driving record will be verified.
- The applicant holds a valid driver’s license
- The applicant has access to a dependable vehicle