Home » Maintain Your Independence

Category: Maintain Your Independence

A collection of articles on Home Care to enable the Elderly and Seniors to Maintain their Independence

What if you can’t speak for yourself anymore?

We all hope to live a long and healthy life, in control of every aspect of what we do. Hope is good, perhaps better to think about the alternative for a few minutes in the event you are not able to speak for yourself anymore. Who will make decisions for you about your health or your finances while you’re alive but no longer able to articulate your wishes anymore? Consider to have a substitute decision maker appointed

Appointing a substitute decision-maker is about incapacity planning. It’s not pleasant to think that there may be a time when you’re unable to make certain decisions for yourself. It makes good sense to plan for such a time, just in case. That way, trusted family members or friends will be able to make legal, financial, or medical decisions for you according to your wishes.

Power of Attorneypower of attorney advanced care planning

A power of attorney is a legal document that appoints another person, called an “attorney,” to deal with your business and property and to make financial and legal decisions on your behalf. A power of attorney can be very specific or very broad. A power of attorney ends if you become mentally incapable. If you want the power of attorney to continue even if you become mentally incapable of making financial decisions, you should make an enduring power of attorney.

Enduring Power of Attorney

An enduring power of attorney is a legal document that appoints another person to make financial and legal decisions for you. An enduring power of attorney will continue even if you become mentally incapable of making decisions. It is different from an ordinary (non-enduring) power of attorney, which ends if you become mentally incapable.

Representation Agreements

With a representation agreement, you can choose someone you trust to be your legal representative, who may make decisions for you if you are incapable of doing so on your own. A representative may be given decision-making authority for your personal care and health care, and, in some cases, the routine management of your financial affairs, including legal matters. That person can be a family member, friend, or someone else.

Advance Care Planning (Making Future Health Care Decisions)

On September 1, 2011, B.C.’s personal planning laws changed. Now, capable adults can name a representative and/or make an advance directive, without visiting a lawyer or notary public, to ensure their future health care decisions are respected. All adults in B.C. are encouraged to do advance care planning to make their wishes and decisions known for their future health care treatment.

Advance care planning is the process of thinking about, and talking over with close family, friends, and your health care provider, your beliefs, values and wishes for future health care treatment in the event of incapability. When you write your wishes or instructions down, you are making an advance care plan.


You can find more information and resources about this subject at SeniorsBC

Teunis Schouten, Owner at B Cared For Services